Monday, January 4, 2010

Grrr...

I want a new kitchen, desperately. Seven years ago when we bought this house we did nothing to the kitchen with the hopes of one day knocking out walls and adding more cabinets. Fast forward 7 years and the kitchen is still stuck in bad 1970's mode. A few of the highlights include lamo floor, lamo counter top, bad bad high gloss cabinets (and not many of them), marigold yellow "plastic" tile back splash, and scalloped wood trim to accent the kitchen window that doesn't open. To top it all off, it's completely walled off from the rest of the house. So, when I am cooking I can't see the kidos trashing the living area.

A few years ago we enclosed our back patio area to hopefully one day make it part of the kitchen/dining room. That's pretty much where I am now, hating my kitchen and dining area because it's so cramped and outdated. It's the eyesore of our house. I would love to have company for dinner, but I feel inadequate because of this area. Christmas really stressed it to me.

After complaining to Hank, he proposed a solution...I have to save the money to renovate the kitchen. Da Da Daaaa...I hate to save money. I am not good at it, I am a really bad spontaneous shopper. But, I hate the kitchen more than I love to shop. So, I am trying to curb my hunger for retail so I can get my kitchen this spring. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Luke's Folks said...

I feel your pain! I painted our cabinets this summer. HGTV makes it look much easier than it really is. I had Sears come out to estimate refacing. $10,000!! WTH? I am now stuck with you, saving my elusive money. Good luck!

hncfarley said...

Well, I know one thing, you totally deserve it! Can't you promise him some tasty meals or something? I really think it is like a gift to the whole family.
Sorry Jenny, $10,000! Can't you get new ones for around that?

Ashley and Evan said...

If I were in your place I would never have a new kitchen. I am so bad about spending money. I'm the worst saver ever! Good luck!

chris said...

Working on saving money and not spending...good luck! Its hard. We are looking to upgrade our kitchen as well. Everything. So...Im either hoping to win the lottery or a contest...or...save.