Monday, June 2, 2008

VBS


Emily started Vacation Bible School tonight at Jack Kinkade's church. Now, I pride myself on being a cool mom. A mom who wouldn't stress about how her child was being treated by other kids or if her child was the odd ball of the class, but when it comes down to it, I am not as cool as I think I am.


Emily and Hayden stay at home everyday with my grandmother (who is just the greatest lady ever). So, when I dropped Emily off tonight at Jack's church and she didn't even look back, I was slightly heart broken. No tears, no goodbye, no nothing. I on the other hand stood around like an idiot for a few minutes to make sure no one teased her for wearing a dress (her idea). For 2 hours Hayden and I walked around lost outside, its weird not having them both home. Promptly at 8:00, I was waiting outside of the church for Emily. She told me she prayed and sang and had snacks and then the best part of the story happened.


Out of the blue, Emily says "Mama" (she calls me Mama) "Mama, Jack said he would protect me." This is one of those moments I will always remember. When Jack is running onto the football field, and his name is announced, I will not look at him as he is then. I will remember him as he is today, with his yellow crocks, telling Emily he will protect her. Thanks Jack, Emily's mom needed to know that.

6 comments:

Bamp said...

You can always depend on a Diel.

Jace said...

Looks like Jack is taking after his Bamp. Now there is a guy who always has your back!

Sarah D said...

Jamee,
I read this last night but was crying so hard I could not comment. I even had to send a link to some people to make sure that they got to read what you had written.

I am so glad Emily came to church last night. I think she did great. Jack loved having her there and I hope she keeps coming back. For your sake, I wish she would have cried and held onto your leg not wanting you to go. I know secretly that would have made you feel a little better.

I will print out what you wrote and save it forever.

Maybe I will show it to Jack someday.

Perhaps it should go in a frame at their wedding.

Aubrey said...

Too sweet! It is so hard to let our kids grow up, especially when they do such grown up stuff!

Amanda M said...

This is absolutely adorable. I hope Nick acts like Jack when he starts to get little buddies!

hncfarley said...

That is about the sweetest thing I have ever heard.