Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tips for making parenting easier


I love Parents magazine, when I have a chance to read it that is. I really like the "It worked for me" section. Here are a few of this issues suggestions.
1. Fill a large plastic storage container with sand and toys so that kids have a sandbox to play with when they travel to their grandparents, park, etc. When you are done just snap the lid on and throw it in the truck.
2. When your kids outgrow bibs but are still messy eaters, have eating shirts. Take an adult-size t-shirt received from a free giveaway and let them put it on when they eat. You don't have to worry about spills and removing stains. (smart)
3. When you pack your school age child's lunch, make one for the child at home and put it in the fridge. That way you are only make lunch once.
4. To prevent your child from burning their tongue on hot cereal, make "milk ice cubes" and drop them into the cereal. It cools down the cereal and makes it more nutritious.
5. Instead of wasting money of paper gift bags that get thrown away, package presents in reusable grocery totes. They only cost $1 and can be used for so many other things. (THIS ONES FOR GREEN ASHLEY)
6. To keep kids occupied in the Dr. office, pack a couple crayons in your purse and let them color on the paper table cover. (how smart is that)

6 comments:

Amanda M said...

What great tips!

Jamee said...

I know, I love the one with the Dr's office.

Ashley and Evan said...

These are great tips! I will have to keep this list handy for future use. I'll have to subscribe to Parents magazine too!

Sarah D said...

Jamee,

I tried to use a tip from that very issue.

The one about crushing up sidewalk chalk to make paint.

I decided that if it sat overnight it would just dissolve. Two days and one failed attempt at microwaving the chalk (NOT a good idea) it is still just broken pieces of chalk in the bottom of a cup.

I am going to have to either throw it away or find a way to cruch it up.

hncfarley said...

You should keep crayons in your exam rooms to occupy your kids waiting to see the dr.
Good one!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thank you for stopping by! These are great tips, thanks for sharing them!! You have a beautiful family!! Stop by anytime, I've added you to my blogroll!
Audrey